Products in this post were given in exchange to the FrugalMommas team for this review. However, all words and opinions are our own and are not altered by free products.
How long has it been since you’ve cleaned your refrigerator?
Did you know that according to germ experts the average kitchen is far filthier than the average bathroom? We often become so fearful of germs that come from bodily fluids and so we clean those areas of the house more often while leaving last week’s tuna salad to sit tucked away in a corner of the refrigerator. Talk about a great way to start a conversation. Additionally, there are often a lot of spillages in the fridge and who knows if we’re cleaning that up correctly. I’ve had so many spills in the fridge where the contents has even then spilled under the fridge too! I’ve had to get a steam mop to get all the sticky marks up as the ordinary mop just didn’t cut it. The steam mop felt more sanitary anyway and since we’re on the topic of hygiene, I thought it was important to add. It’s important that you remember to get the relevant cleaning supplies before starting any type of cleaning task so that your job will be made relatively easier. I know this from experience.
Tips For Refrigerator Cleaning
- Clean the refrigerator on trash day or the night before. This will allow you to toss anything old.
- Remove all food from the refrigerator for a deeper cleaning. By removing everything off of the shelves you will be able to see tiny creases that otherwise might go unnoticed.
- Take a picture. This comes in handy for setting everything back into place.
- Remove all shelves and place them in the bathtub. By removing all shelves you will be able to clean in the pockets and wipe the fridge down.
- Clean the shelves in the bathtub. You’ll probably want to clean the tub afterwards also but by cleaning the shelves in the bathtub you will be able to soak off old spills all at once.
- Use warm water to clean the refrigerator with. It’s best to unplug but that might be unrealistic, especially if you don’t plan on getting to the freezer section right away.
- Label it. By labeling when your last deep cleaning was you are more likely to keep a clean fridge. After all, nobody wants to invite guest over only to have them over the fridge door and see it hasn’t been cleaned in over a year. We used ChalkOla peel and stick chalk labels with ChalkOla Liquid Chalk Markers. By doing this we can take the labels off with out a residue and interchange the dates as needed without any added fuss!