Frugal Mommas Rejoice – it IS possible to make the perfect cheese sauce in only 5 simple steps. Don’t grab that stale old box of macaroni and cheese. In two shakes and with a few easy ingredients you can whip up your own perfect cheese sauce that will put the store bought versions to shame!
Not only is this homemade cheese sauce frugal and more delicious, but by making it at home, you can make it healthier than other versions. As a matter of fact, this easy DIY cheese sauce is quite flexible.
Perfect Cheese Sauce
You can use a variety of cheeses and flours. This is not one of those “exact measurement” recipes. It can be extremely flexible and forgiving. Go ahead – use this recipe as jumping off point and give your own ideas a whirl!
Follow steps from one through five for a delicious homemade cheese sauce.
Printable Recipe for Perfect Cheese Sauce in Five Easy Steps – button on right!
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tbs Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Cheese - grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Use a Tb of olive oil or coconut oil in a pan with a pat of butter – mix in 2-3 Tbs of flour
- Add in 1 cup of milk and stir until smooth as possible and then add another cup of milk do same
- Add 2 cups of grated cheese – sharp cheddar makes a great sauce
- Mix until med thick consistency – salt and pepper to taste
- Add to cooked/ drained pasta for delicious homemade mac-n-cheese, add veggies if desired – sauce can be used in many different recipes. Try it over chicken, noodles, rice and more!