Do you know someone who is living a gluten free lifestyle?
Once upon a time having a doctor tell you that you must go on a gluten free diet seemed like a death sentence but as more people have become aware of the gluten free way of life the food has improved greatly. Now you can find gluten-free options in restaurants, take-aways, and you can even get a gluten free meal kit delivered to your door! However, things still seem rather difficult around the holidays, especially if you feel that you are missing out on your old favorites.
That’s why we love this gluten free pecan pie recipe!
It’s a great alternative to traditional pecan pie and in fact those who don’t need to be on a gluten free diet may even prefer the gluten free pecan pie with it’s irresistible chocolate chips mixed in for added pleasure.
This mouth watering recipe is a combination of gluten free flour, brown sugar, pecans and chocolate chips. Mixed together it creates a smooth filling that pleases both the savory and sweet fans in the family. As the pie bakes in the oven the upper layer browns and becomes flaky, almost separating from the filling altogether to add another layer of indulgence that will leave you feeling as though you just had a cookie on top of that pie. It’s a win win combination!
Lauren at The Place For Busy Moms shares her recipe for this mouth watering gluten free pecan pie with chocolate chips.
See the step by step tutorial on how to make a gluten free pecan pie here
For the pie:
- 9in Gluten Free Pie Crust *see recipe on ThePlaceForBusyMoms.com
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2c Gluten Free Pillsbury Flour
- 1/2c Granulated Sugar
- 1/2c Packed Brown Sugar
- 3/4c Softened Butter
- 1 1/2c Chopped Pecans
- 1c Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Beat 2 eggs in a large mixing bowl until foamy.
- Beat in 1/2 cup gluten free flour.
- Beat in 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Beat in 1/2 cup packed brown sugar.
- Beat in 3/4 cup softened butter.
- Gently mix in 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Gently mix in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until pie is lightly brown in color.
For the crust:
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse flour and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles fine meal, with no large pieces of butter remaining. Add egg and 2 tablespoons ice water, then pulse until well combined and dough holds together when squeezed, 1 minute. If necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Pre-bake crust on 350 before adding the filling. The crust does not have to cook all the way through (only 5-10 mins) but will need a head start so that it does not become soggy once the contents are added. *NOTE* Pre baking the crust is not required for this recipe as there are no added juices.
- Then finish cooking the crust according to the desired pie recipe.