Save money with energy efficiency
As part of our 31 day series about the Frugal Mommas BEST money saving tips — today we are turning off the lights! It’s pretty much that simple. Saving money with energy efficiency is mostly about taking the time to apply sensible changes to your everyday habits. Let’s not forget doing some simple investing, like those that buy bitcoin, for example. But I digress.
Here are a few simple energy efficiency tips that can add up to big savings over time:
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room
- Change air filters
- Switch out regular light bulbs with LED’s or other energy efficient choices
- Upgrade appliances little at a time with energy efficient models
- Switch your ceiling fan to turn in a counter-clockwise direction In the summer; in the winter, run it at low speed, but clockwise
- Check seals on exterior doors and windows – if needed, do any repairs to ensure a tight seal. If your windows are significantly older or badly damaged, you might want to consider getting them replaced. If you are uncertain where to begin, compared to single glazed wooden windows, double glazed PVCu windows are generally better at regulating the temperature in your home.
- Tune up – AC and Heating systems to make sure they are working properly
- Fight the sun – to keep things cooler be sure that walls and windows exposed to the setting sun have good insulation, heavy curtains, trees and shrubs outside
- Take a look at your roof – By looking at your roof and getting someone like Ace Roofing Texas – Roofing Company in Austin TX to make repairs or replace it can help stop heat from escaping. Even the shingle color can help improve your energy efficiency!
- Cover bare floors – keep things warmer inside with rugs and carpets during winter
- Close fireplace flu when not in use
- Use the sun – open shades and expose home to as much natural light as possible when available
- Keep heating and air vents clear – make sure nothing is blocking them (like furniture or curtains)
We’d love to hear some of your ideas for energy efficiency too!