Save money with energy efficiency
As part of our 31 day series about the Frugal Mommas BEST money saving tips — today we are turning off the lights! It’s pretty much that simple. Saving money with energy efficiency is mostly about taking the time to apply sensible changes to your everyday habits.
Here are a few simple energy efficiency tips that can add up to big savings over time:
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room
- Change air filters
- Switch out regular light bulbs with LED’s or other energy efficient choices
- Upgrade appliances little at a time with energy efficient models
- Switch your ceiling fan to turn in a counter-clockwise direction In the summer; in the winter, run it at low speed, but clockwise
- Check seals on exterior doors and windows – if needed, do repairs to ensure a tight seal
- Tune up – AC and Heating systems to make sure they are working properly
- Fight the sun – to keep things cooler be sure that walls and windows exposed to the setting sun have good insulation, heavy curtains, trees and shrubs outside
- Cover bare floors – keep things warmer inside with rugs and carpets during winter
- Close fireplace flu when not in use
- Use the sun – open shades and expose home to as much natural light as possible when available
- Keep heating and air vents clear – make sure nothing is blocking them (like furniture or curtains)
We’d love to hear some of your ideas for energy efficiency too!